Open to US Citizens & non-US Citizens
Deadline: August 15 2018
Rhodes Scholarships are typically awarded for two years of study at Oxford University (recipients may apply for a third year of support for doctoral studies). The Rhodes Scholarship pays all tuition and fees, in addition to a personal allowance for living expenses. Information about courses of study at Oxford is available at http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses.
In addition to demonstrating wide-ranging academic excellence and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.70 (preferably 3.80 or above by Summer 2018), the most successful candidates have demonstrated initiative and commitment to larger issues such as service, research, and engagement in efforts to serve humanity both on and beyond their campus. Additionally, candidates should have a clearly articulated reason for studying at Oxford and a solid understanding of the research they will conduct in a specific graduate program.
The Rhodes Scholarship is open to citizens of the following Rhodes-eligible countries: United States of America, Australia, Bermuda, Botswana, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica and the Commonwealth Caribbean, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Namibia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Palestine, South Africa, Swaziland, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and the nations of West Africa (as defined by the Rhodes Trust). Country-specific links can be found at http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/about/rhodes-countries.
2018 applicants who wish to commence graduate study in Fall 2019 should complete Penn's Request for Endorsement form as soon as possible. See details at Endorsement Process for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell
Penn Application Deadline: August 15, 2018
Penn’s Application Process
The Rhodes Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – students and alumni may not apply independently. To apply for Penn’s endorsement, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of August 15, 2018.
- Candidates should indicate their intent to apply for endorsement for the Rhodes Scholarship (as well as the Marshall Scholarship and/or Mitchell Scholarship, if relevant) as soon as possible by completing the Request for University of Pennsylvania Endorsement Form. Candidates will then be assigned a Fellowship Advisor who will help the candidate clarify goals, values, and purposes, assist with application details, and draft the letter of endorsement on behalf of the University. Candidates requesting endorsement after June 1 must contact CURF to petition to be considered for University of Pennsylvania endorsement.
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation for the Rhodes Scholarship, complete a CURF Recommendation Request Form for each recommender. If you are also applying for the Marshall and/or Mitchell, separate requests must be submitted for each award. At this point, DO NOT request letters of recommendation through the Rhodes application system. Letters of recommendations must be submitted to CURF via the webform no later than 4:00pm on August 15, 2018.
- Complete Penn's Internal Rhodes application form, including the upload of a single PDF which combines your personal statement, list of principal activities and honors in college, unofficial transcript from Penn InTouch (and other institutions, if relevant), a high quality digital photograph of yourself (one that would be appropriate for a passport), and evidence of nationality. If you do not receive an email confirming your submission within 4 hours, please IMMEDIATELY email firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure CURF has received your submission. Submission is due by 4:00pm on August 15, 2018.
- Following Penn’s internal deadline, candidate materials are reviewed by the University of Pennsylvania’s Faculty Review Committee, which is comprised of Penn faculty who have been awarded prestigious scholarships and are actively engaged in promoting Penn’s academic mission. The Committee will select candidates to interview for consideration for Penn endorsement.
- Candidates selected for endorsement for the Rhodes Scholarship will receive further instructions.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment