I knew I wanted to get involved in research the instant I got to Penn, so I started working in Dr. Bomyi Lim’s lab in the CBE department my first-year Spring. After gaining experience in confocal microscopy, a CURF grant the following summer provided me funding to stay in the lab and gain experience with gene-editing, cell culture, and other biological techniques to investigate direct cell reprogramming. In the wake of remote learning, I’ve transitioned into a computational role with Dr. Darko Stefanovski investigating ion selectivity in potassium ion channels. I’d love to talk to anyone about chemical engineering, engineering as a whole, or the interface between the natural sciences and engineering disciplines, especially with biological applications.
Research Positions and Awards:
- Lim Lab, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, January 2019 – March 2020
- CURF Grant for Undergraduate Mentorship (Summer 2019)
- Independent Study (Spring 2020)
- Class of 1971 Robert J. Holtz Prize
- Dr. Darko Stefanovski, Penn Vet, June 2020 – Present