Queen Elizabeth Scholarship
Open to US Citizens & non-US Citizens
Deadline: January 30 2022
Queen Elizabeth Scholarship
The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship, made possible by the generosity of Sir Walter Annenberg, is awarded to outstanding students of the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Oxford. Penn will send a PhD student to Oxford every three years and Oxford will send a DPhil student to Penn. The next Penn student will be sent to Oxford for the 2022-2023 academic year. The Scholarship covers all fees and provides a stipend of £8000. PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in 2022-2023, the stipend will be increased (exact amount TBD) and the exchange will occur every other year.
Applicants must be at the dissertation stage or in the final stages of course work in pursuit of a PhD in any subject taught at Oxford University. Preference will be given to American citizens.
Penn Deadline: January 30, 2022, 11:59pm
Penn’s Application Process
The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – students may not apply independently. To apply to be one of Penn’s nominees, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of January 30, 2022.
- As soon as you have arranged for two letters of recommendation, fill out a CURF Recommendation Request Form for each recommender. One letter should be from your current or proposed Penn dissertation supervisor, who should identify her/himself as such in their letter, and the other should come from another Penn faculty member with whom you have studied.
- Complete Penn’s Request for Nomination application form. Here, you will upload a single PDF which combines
- your CV
- a document listing the department(s) in which you plan to study or conduct research at Oxford
- a description of work you’re planning at Oxford (including resources you’ll utilize) [500-words maximum]
- the name(s), department(s), and email address(es) of faculty member(s) at Oxford you have been in contact with who have indicated a willingness to work with you while you are at Oxford
- copies of email confirmation from each faculty member who has indicated a willingness to work with you at Oxford
- official undergraduate and graduate transcript (please scan these from official transcripts)
- a document noting your intended future occupation
- if you have ever visited the United Kingdom, a document that briefly states the purpose of your visit(s) (e.g., holiday, study abroad, research, etc.).
If you do not receive an email confirming your submission within 4 hours, please IMMEDIATELY email firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure CURF has received your submission.
- Nominated students will receive further instructions.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment