Penn Museum Field Research Grants
Application DeadlineOctober 6, 2017 - 6:00pm
October 6, 2017 - 5:00pm for fieldwork taking place between November 1, 2017 and May 1, 2018
March 23, 2018- 5:00pm for fieldwork taking place between May 1, 2018 and November 1, 2019
The Penn Museum provides support for current Penn undergraduate and graduate students to pursue field research related to Archaeology and Anthropology. Read about past projects funded by Museum grants under Students in the Field on the Penn Museum Blog.
The Penn Museum accepts applications twice a year for winter and summer projects. Requests for grant support up to a maximum of $1200 will be considered.
Applications should include the following:
- a signed letter of application from the student, including contact information
- personal statement of experience and interests (1-2 pages)
- summer field research project proposal (1-2 pages)
- project budget (1 page) indicating how requested funds will be expended and noting other funding for the project (funds secured or requested from other sources)
- a letter of support from a Penn Museum-affiliated faculty or adjunct faculty member (e.g., Curator, Associate Curator, Assistant Curator, Consulting Curator, or Consulting Scholar)
Applications should be submitted to Dr. Anne Tiballi, Mellon Director of Academic Engagement at the Penn Museum. Submissions will be accepted electronically (by email to email@example.com).
Students awarded grants will be required to answer a short questionnaire on their research activities and to complete all travel expense reporting according to university policies by no later than May 15 for winter grants and November 15 for summer grants.
Students receiving field research grants are invited to present on their research projects as part of the Penn Museum public programming schedule.
Field funds may not be used for laboratory analysis, personal computers or photographic equipment.
Please note that students receiving support from either the Kolb Foundation or the Niarchos Foundation administered through the Penn Museum will not be eligible for these summer field research grants.