Open to US citizens only
Deadline: August 15 2018
The Marshall Scholarship is tenable at any university in the United Kingdom, and provides overseas transportation, all tuition and fees, and a personal living allowance for (typically) two years of graduate study. Because its goal is to promote US/UK connections throughout the UK, the Scholarship particularly welcomes candidates interested in studying at universities other than Oxford, Cambridge and LSE, especially the Marshall’s UK partner institutions.
In addition to demonstrating wide-ranging academic excellence and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.70 (preferably 3.80 or above by Summer 2018), the most successful candidates have demonstrated initiative and commitment to larger issues such as service, research, and engagement in efforts to serve humanity both on and beyond their campus. Additionally, candidates should have a clearly articulated reason for studying in the UK and a solid understanding of the research they will conduct in a specific graduate program.
2018 applicants who wish to commence graduate study in Fall 2019 should complete Penn's Request for Endorsement form as soon as possible. See details at Endorsement Process for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell
Penn Application Deadline: August 15, 2018
Penn’s Application Process
The Marshall Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – students may not apply independently. To apply for Penn’s endorsement, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of August 15, 2018.
- Candidates should indicate their intent to apply for endorsement for the Marshall Scholarship (as well as the Rhodes Scholarship and/or Mitchell Scholarship, if relevant) as soon as possible by completing the Request for University of Pennsylvania Endorsement Form. Candidates will then be assigned a Fellowship Advisor who will help the candidate clarify goals, values, and purposes, assist with application details, and draft the letter of endorsement on behalf of the University. Candidates requesting endorsement after June 1 must contact CURF to petition to be considered for University of Pennsylvania endorsement.
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation for the Marshall Scholarship, complete a CURF Recommendation Request Form for each recommender. If you are also applying for the Rhodes and/or Mitchell, separate requests must be submitted for each award. DO NOT request letters of recommendation through the Marshall application system. Letters of recommendations must be submitted to CURF via the webform no later than 4:00pm on August 15, 2018.
- Complete Penn’s Internal Marshall application form, including the upload of a single PDF which combines your four Marshall statements and your unofficial transcript from Penn InTouch (and other institutions, if relevant). If you do not receive an email confirming your submission within 4 hours, please IMMEDIATELY email email@example.com to make sure CURF has received your submission. Submission is due by 4:00pm on August 15, 2018.
- Following Penn’s internal deadline, candidate materials are reviewed by the University of Pennsylvania’s Faculty Review Committee, which is comprised of Penn faculty who have been awarded prestigious scholarships and are actively engaged in promoting Penn’s academic mission. The Committee will select candidates to interview for consideration for Penn endorsement.
- Candidates selected for endorsement for the Marshall Scholarship will receive further instructions.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment