Open to US Citizens & non-US Citizens
Deadline: November 15 2021
The Goldwater Foundation awards undergraduate scholarships to sophomores and juniors who have outstanding potential, an exceptional academic record (generally 3.85 or higher overall GPA, but extensive research and publications can compensate if GPA is close to 3.85), and intend to earn a PhD or Master's degree in a STEM field and pursue a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. Each scholarship provides up to a maximum of $7,500 annually for up to two years of undergraduate study.
Before applying, please review Penn's 2021 Goldwater presentation
Please register in advance for our Fall 2021 virtual Goldwater Info Session on Friday, October 1, at 3:00pm with recent Penn Goldwater Scholars at https://upenn.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwvfuqurDojG9H8mexChkCDlnpZ6LXUeNok
(NOTE: Transfer students are also encouraged to apply since Goldwater permits Penn to submit a 5th nominee if the student transferred to Penn)
Goldwater Pre-Application Deadline (complete a brief form on Goldwater website): October 15, 2021
Penn Application (including all recommendation letters) Deadline: November 15, 2021, 11:59pm
Penn’s Application Process
The Goldwater Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – students may not apply independently. To apply to be one of Penn’s nominees, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of November 15, 2021, 11:59pm.
- Complete your Student Profile and Goldwater Pre-Application here: https://scholarsapply.org/barrygoldwater/. Submit the pre-application by October 15, which will be routed to CURF through the system. Upon receipt of your pre-application, CURF will connect with you to discuss your application and to give you access to the Goldwater online application
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation, begin a CURF Fellowships Nomination Request for the Goldwater Scholarship, where you will be able to request letters of recommendation from your recommenders.
- Complete and submit the Goldwater application (including your research essay) no later than November 15, 2021, 11:59pm through the Goldwater application website
- Interviews will be conducted with applicants being considered for endorsement
- Nominated students will receive further instructions