Open to US Citizens & non-US Citizens
Deadline: November 15 2022
Potential Penn applicants should review the video of our 2021 Goldwater Scholarship information session featuring 5 recent Penn Goldwater Scholars
Before applying, please review Penn's 2021 Goldwater presentation.
The Goldwater Foundation awards undergraduate scholarships to sophomores and juniors who have outstanding potential, an exceptional academic record (generally 3.85 or higher overall GPA, but extensive research and publications can compensate if GPA is close to 3.85), and intend to earn a PhD or Master's degree in a STEM field and pursue a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. Each scholarship provides up to a maximum of $7,500 annually for up to two years of undergraduate study.
Applicants should review this Goldwater recommendation writing guidance to determine the most appropriate scientists to serve as your recommenders. Applicants should also provide this guidance to your recommenders when you ask them to write on your behalf.
(NOTE: Transfer students are also encouraged to apply since Goldwater permits Penn to submit a 5th nominee if the student transferred to Penn)
Goldwater applicants should complete the Pre-Application at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/ as soon as possible to obtain access to the full Goldwater application!
Penn Application (including all recommendation letters) Deadline: November 15, 2022, 4:00pm
Penn’s Application Process
The Goldwater Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – students may not apply independently. To apply to be one of Penn’s nominees, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of November 15, 2022, 4:00pm.
- Complete your Student Profile and Goldwater pre-application at https://scholarsapply.org/barrygoldwater/ no later than October 15.
- Schedule an appointment with Dr. Genser at https://www.curf.upenn.edu/profile/genser-dr-wallace
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation, begin a CURF Fellowships Nomination Request for the Goldwater Scholarship, where you will be able to request letters of recommendation from your recommenders
- Complete and submit the Goldwater application (including your research essay) no later than November 15, 2022, 4:00pm through the Goldwater application website
- Goldwater applicants must submit BOTH the CURF Fellowships Nomination Request form AND the complete Goldwater application (research essay, short answers, and all other materials) by Penn's November 15 deadline to be considered for nomination
- Interviews will be conducted with applicants being considered for endorsement
- Nominated students will receive further instructions