Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Open to US citizens only
Deadline: August 28 2018
Fulbright Grants fund 8-12 months of international experience in over 140 countries. While Fulbright Grants are offered in various forms and are country-specific, most opportunities fall into three broad categories (note: not all grant types are available in all countries, and most countries offer more than one option):
- Research grants, which offer applicants the opportunity to design their own project in any discipline
- Study grants, which support applicants pursuing a graduate degree
- English Teaching Assistantships (ETAs)
Penn Campus Deadline: August 28, 2018
Final Penn Deadline/National Fulbright Deadline: October 9, 2018 @ 5pm EST
Penn’s Application Process
- Interested candidates should submit this brief webform to request access to CURF's Canvas site for Fulbright applicants.
- Applicants must submit complete applications through Fulbright’s Embark application system by August 28, 2018 in order to meet Penn’s campus deadline. Penn undergraduate and graduate students should apply through Penn, and utilize CURF advising and Penn’s Fulbright Faculty Committee (FFC). Alumni are strongly encouraged to apply through Penn to access to CURF and FFC support, but have the option to apply At-Large.
- In September, applicants are matched with members of Penn’s Fulbright Faculty Committee, who provide feedback about application materials, conduct an interview, and draft a campus committee evaluation to be appended to the final application. This process is designed to be supportive and educational, and applicants will have an opportunity to revise some elements of their application before final submission. Additional details are available here.
- If an applicant is unable to submit a complete application by August 28 but still wants to apply through Penn, they may do so by meeting Fulbright's National Deadline (October 9, 2018 @ 5pm EST). While an applicant who does not meet Penn’s Internal Deadline cannot participate in the campus process outlined above, applications deemed qualified will still be forwarded to Fulbright’s National Screening Committee with the rest of Penn’s applicants.
- By the end of January, the Institute for International Education (IIE) will notify candidates of their status after a preliminary national screening. Candidates recommended by the national screening panels have their applications forwarded abroad for further review. Ultimately, Fulbright recipients will be selected jointly by the US State Department and National Commissions, and are notified on a rolling basis by country, typically in March and April.
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment