Department of South Asia Studies Undergraduate Research Grants
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2019
The Department of South Asia Studies invites applications for the South Asia Undergraduate Research Awards.
Application deadline April 1 or otherwise stated on the SAST website.
The South Asia Studies department will award up to two research/travel grants (maximum of $3000 each) for Spring-Summer 2019 to support undergraduate research projects involving travel to South Asia.
Q: Do I need to be a SAST major or minor?
Q: Do I need to be in The College?
Q: Does my research project/paper need to be about a certain topic?
A: NO! As long as your area of focus is in South Asia, all topics and projects will be considered. Previous research topics have been farming techniques in India, Birth Control in South Asia, Medical Technology Development in South Asia, etc.
The deadline for COMPLETE applications is April 1, 2019.
Please provide COMPLETE applications to:
820 Williams Hall
(you may drop off paper applications or send in pdf form via email)
Please contact Zoe Katz (contact information below) if you have any questions about these awards.
- The competition is restricted to undergraduate students in their first, second, or third year of study; applications from seniors graduating in Spring '19 will not be considered.
- A statement of 500 words or less indicating the nature of their project and how it fits into their academic program at Penn (preference towards South Asia Majors/Minors)
- An unofficial Penn transcript
- A budget and funding request
- A brief statement from a South Asia Studies faculty member who would be guiding the research. An email or letter are each acceptable, but all applicants must have a SAST faculty mentor/supervisor for their project. This may be addressed to "SAST Awards Committee."
- A list of other applications being submitted to support this research (Applications for other grants will be viewed favorably in the review process)
Research Offering LocationAsia
Research Offering SourcePenn
South Asia Studies Department
255 S. 36th St. 820 Williams Hall
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104