Open to US citizens only
Deadline: January 27 2019
The Beinecke Scholarship provides scholarships for juniors planning to pursue graduate study in the humanities, social sciences, or the arts. Each scholar receives $4,000 upon completion of their undergraduate studies, and a total additional $30,000 for support of graduate study. Applicants must have a history of receiving need-based financial aid. Attend the Beinecke Information Session on Thursday, January 17, at 3:00pm to learn more.
Penn Deadline: January 27, 2019, 11:59pm
Penn’s Application Process
The Beinecke Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – students may not apply independently. To apply to Penn’s nominee, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of January 27, 2019, 11:59pm.
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation from at least three Penn faculty members, fill out a CURF Recommendation Request Form for each referee. Recommendation letters for the Beinecke Scholarship must be written by faculty in the applicant's field (or a closely allied field) who have taught you and/or supervised your research. Letters should focus primarily on the nominee’s academic strength, intellectual curiosity, and potential for advanced graduate study in their field. In particular, Beinecke recommendation letters should address:
- How does the candidate’s academic ability in their field compare to their peers?
- Why is the candidate’s specific focus of research unique or important?
- How is the candidate particularly well-suited to pursue their specific research (academic strength, research experience, other factors)?
- Why are the graduate schools identified by the candidate a good fit for the candidate and their research interests?
- Complete Penn’s Request for Nomination application form. Here, you will upload a single PDF which combines your Beinecke application form, resume, unofficial transcript from Penn InTouch (and other institutions, if relevant), and personal statement. If you do not receive an email confirming your submission within 4 hours, please IMMEDIATELY. email email@example.com to make sure CURF has received your submission.
- Nominated students will receive further instructions.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment