Ralph Bunche Summer Institute
Application DeadlineJanuary 21, 2022
The Ralph Bunche Summer Institute Program (RBSI) is an annual, intensive five-week program held at Duke University. It is designed to introduce to the world of doctoral study in political science those undergraduate students from under-represented racial and ethnic groups or those interested in broadening participation in political science and pursuing scholarship on issues affecting underrepresented groups or issues of tribal sovereignty and governance.
The RBSI focuses on:
- Enhancing writing, research, and analytical skills to increase competitiveness in the application and financial aid process for graduate school;
- Developing statistical skills for data analysis used in political science;
- Exposing participants to the significant questions in the discipline and profession of political science;
- Introducing participants to leading political scientists; and
- Educating participants about political science career opportunities and encouraging their application to doctoral programs in political science.
- Applicants must be a member of one of the following underrepresented racial or ethnic minority groups: African Americans, Asian Pacific Americans, Latinos/as, American Indians or Alaska natives, and Native Hawaiians, or an individual who is interested in broadening participation in political science by students from underrepresented minority populations and pursuing scholarship on issues affecting underrepresented groups or issues of tribal sovereignty and governance.
- Applicants must be college/university juniors.
- Applicants must demonstrate an interest in teaching and potential for research in political science.
- Applicants must be a US citizen, US national, US permanent resident (holder of a permanent resident card), or an individual granted deferred action status under the deferred action for childhood arrivals program (DACA) at time of application.
Research Offering TypeInternship
Research Offering LocationUSA
Research Offering SourceExternal
APSA Ralph Bunche Summer Institute
c/o Dr. Kimberly Mealy
American Political Science Association
1527 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036-1206
Kimberly Mealy, PhD, APSA Senior Director of Diversity and Inclusion Programs at email@example.com.