Penn Program on Opinion Research and Election Studies Student Research Fellowship
Application DeadlineNovember 23, 2021
The Penn Program on Opinion Research and Election Studies (PORES) is an undergraduate research program committed to conducting high-quality social research in the public interest on issues of national and international importance.
PORES aims to develop a data-driven approach to understanding political outcomes in the United States through public opinion survey research and poll analysis.
The program provides Penn undergraduate students valuable training in public opinion theory and research through specialized courses, mentoring and hands-on instruction with leading industry organizations.
The PORES Student Research Fellowship is a paid position. During the academic year, students are expected to work at least 10 hours a week for the duration of the semester. For the summer fellowship, students are expected to be in residence and work 35 hours a week. As part of the fellowship, students may also have the opportunity to visit NBC News in New York City.
The Fall Semester deadline is August 21, the Spring Semester deadline is November 26, and the Summer deadline is February 15.
Interested students should send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, and indicate which semester they are applying for.
Program Requirements for Research Fellowship:
- Assist in the management of survey research projects.
- Conduct background and other R&D research for SSRS as directed.
Eligibility for Research Fellowship:
- Applicants should have an interest in public opinion research, politics and voting habits.
- Students should be detail-oriented and have a strong writing background.
- While some projects may require fellows to already possess statistical and data analysis skills, PORES Student Research Fellowships are also open to those with little experience in statistics. However, a strong interest in learning these skills is required.
- Please highlight in your statement of interest any previous experiences with:
- Statistical Software (such as R, STATA, SPSS)
- Microsoft Excel
Application Requirements for Research Fellowship:
- Statement of Interest
- Writing Sample