Open to US citizens only
Check out this step-by-step guide to the Mitchell process for potential applicants!
The Mitchell Scholarship funds one year of graduate study at institutions of higher learning in Ireland or Northern Ireland, providing tuition, accommodation, and a stipend for living expenses and travel.
In addition to demonstrating wide-ranging academic excellence and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.70, most successful candidates have demonstrated initiative and commitment to larger issues such as service, research, and engagement in efforts to serve humanity both on and beyond their campus. Additionally, candidates should have a clearly articulated reason for studying in Ireland or Northern Ireland and a solid understanding of the research they will conduct in a specific graduate program.
2020 applicants who wish to commence graduate study in Fall 2021 should complete this form to request access to Penn's Canvas site for Mitchell applicants, and complete Penn's Request for Endorsement form as soon as possible. See details at Endorsement Process for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell
Penn Application Deadline: August 1, 2020, 4:00pm
Penn’s Application Process
The Mitchell Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – undergraduate students may not apply independently. To apply for Penn’s endorsement, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of August 1, 2020, 4:00pm. Alumni and graduate students do not require Penn’s endorsement, but are strongly encouraged to participate in the process outlined below.
- Candidates should indicate their intent to apply for endorsement for the Mitchell Scholarship (as well as the Rhodes Scholarship and/or Marshall Scholarship, if relevant) as soon as possible by completing the Request for University of Pennsylvania Endorsement Form. Candidates will then be assigned a Fellowship Advisor who will help the candidate clarify goals, values, and purposes, assist with application details, and draft the letter of endorsement on behalf of the University. Candidates requesting endorsement after June 1 must contact Dr. Wallace Genser at firstname.lastname@example.org to request consideration for University of Pennsylvania endorsement.
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation for the Mitchell Scholarship, complete a CURF Recommendation Request Form for each recommender. If you are also applying for the Rhodes and/or Marshall, separate requests must be submitted for each award. DO NOT request letters of recommendation through the Mitchell application system. Letters of recommendations must be submitted to CURF via the webform no later than 4:00pm on August 1, 2020.
- Complete Penn’s Internal Mitchell Application form, including the upload of a single PDF which combines your personal essay , a categorized list of awards or activities, your unofficial transcript from Penn InTouch, a high quality digital photograph of yourself (one that would be appropriate for a passport), and any other post-secondary transcripts. If you do not receive an email confirming your submission within 4 hours, please IMMEDIATELY email email@example.com to make sure CURF has received your submission. Submission is due by 4:00pm on August 1, 2020.
- Following Penn’s internal deadline, candidate materials are reviewed by the University of Pennsylvania’s Faculty Review Committee, which is comprised of Penn faculty who have been awarded prestigious scholarships and are actively engaged in promoting Penn’s academic mission. The Committee will select candidates to interview for consideration for Penn endorsement.
- Candidates selected for endorsement for the Mitchell Scholarship will receive further instructions.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment